Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bursting with Blueberry Goodness

After making the double crusted blueberry pie for TWD, I had a cup of blueberries left over. It was the perfect amount for making the Orange Berry Muffins also from the book Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. This recipe was a nice respite from the blueberry pie. It was so quick and easy -- in just about an hour after starting, I was already tasting my sweet success.


The recipe is pretty basic, the only difference maybe was that it had orange zest that you actually rubbed into the sugar to bring out the flavor more. I've not done that before. It was a nice little touch.

Other than that, I thought the recipe came together well. The batter was thick and easy to scoop into the muffin tins. Oh, BTW, I've learned to use an ice cream scoop or melon baller to get the batter into the tins pretty nicely! Just a little tip! After the batter went into the oven, the recipe said that you could sprinkle some sugar on top after about 10 minutes in, but I decided not to. The muffins puffed up pretty fast and quickly baked up in just 20 minutes. When I pulled them out of the oven, I could see many of the blueberries had burst, allowing their sugary goodness to escape. I had to save one by eating it immediately! While it was pretty yummy, I wished I had sprinkled some sugar on top after all. I think it would have sweetened them up a bit. In fact, they kind of had a savory, corn bread like taste. I have no idea where that came from. There was no corn meal or anything like that in the batter, so I don't know. At first I thought it was just me who was tasting that, but then another person who tasted them said the exact same thing. Oh well. If I make these again, I'll definitely add a little more sweetness with the sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment