Saturday, December 1, 2012

TWD: Rugelach

This week, Piggy of Piggy’s Cooking Journal chose Rugelach for our Tuesdays with Dorie recipe of the week. (Click on her blog title for the original recipe.) I have never even heard of these much less make them, so I was interested to try them. These were actually VERY easy to make, and kind of fun too! You basically roll out a simple dough (butter, cream cheese, flour and salt) into a circle, then slather with fruit jam, sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar, nuts, dried fruit and chocolate in this case. Slice into wedges, then roll up, starting from the wide end to the narrow tip. This was my favorite part. It was really easy to roll them up, and they looked so cute! Place the little cookies on parchment, wash with a little eggwash, sprinkle with sugar and bake.

While the filling of my cookies took on a very dark color, making them look a little less them yum, they still tasted pretty good! They were a little more chocolatey then I think I would like, so if I make these again, I think I'll put far less, or maybe no chocolate at all. I like the taste of the fruit and nuts best, so I think I'd like to focus more on those. It'll be fun too to try these again with different fruit jams and dried fruit combinations. I have some fig preserves that I'd like to try with this recipe. I wonder what dried fruit would go well with fig... Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment