Thursday, March 8, 2012

Need to Keep Motivated!

As I type this, I can hear the rain/sleet pounding the windows and pavement outside and I am NOT looking forward to my workout tomorrow. I am supposed to have my first speed type of workout and I am hoping that I can get on my regular trail to run on. My workout tomorrow is a tempo workout -- I have to do a 1 mile warmup, 3 miles at near 5K race pace, and then a 1 mile cool down. I do NOT want to do those on a track -- how boring! My trail may be closed though due to flooding. We had tons of snow the past few weeks which just melted and now it's raining. :-( We'll see. So that is discouragement #1.

Discouragement #2: I went running the other day with one of my coworkers. She is actually the one who encouraged me to run the half marathon. Yesterday was the first day I ran with her. I was huffing and puffing to keep up with her, but she was just cruising right along as if she were walking in the park. Then, after pushing to finish the 3 miles, I am thinking, "Whoooo, I am pooped!" But then she says, "Well, that was a good warmup. I'm off to my workout now!" Say what?! That WAS my workout! Oh well. I do have to remember -- she has been running way longer than me. I'll get there someday...right?!

Discouragement #3: Boo hoo, it's so cold! The other day, I told my husband that I think I actually like running in the cold than in the heat. In the winter, you can always add layers to get warmer, but in the summer, when it's hot, there is not much you can do to cool down. While I still do agree, I am so tired of the cold! The past few runs, the cold wind was so fierce, my eyes were watering like crazy after just 2 minutes and my nose was running like a faucet! Not fun! What's even worse (or maybe it's better) is that my face is so numb, most of the time, I can't even feel it so my face is just all gross by the time I'm done. Maybe that explains the strange looks I get from fellow runners/walkers on the path?

Okay, okay...I'll put the violin away. Whining will get me nowhere. Instead, I will try to psych myself up... I will run tomorrow and I run as hard as possible. Why? Because I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment