Wednesday, August 3, 2011

TWD: Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake

This week, Tammy of Wee Treats by Tammy chose the Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake for Tuesdays with Dorie. I was excited to try this recipe since it had a few different techniques that I've not done before. First, the "brownie cake" batter was made with the traditional ingredients, but a good portion of melted chocolate was incorporate in. That was new for me. Usually I just use cocoa powder to get that chocolate flavor. After mixing the batter, it was poured into a springform pan -- another item that is fairly new to me. After allowing the brownie cake to bake and cool, I started working on the caramel. This was going to be fun! I heated the water and sugar as directed and left it alone for about 15 minutes. I watched carefully as it went from pale yellow to a deep umber. As soon as it reached that deeper color, I added in some heavy cream and butter and waited for it to return to that golden color. Once it did, I tossed in the peanuts. I let it cool a bit before adding it to the cake. Once the cake was topped, I stuck my finger in the bowl to taste the creation and it was super yummy! It tasted just like it did from the store! I was worried though because it seemed to be hardening quickly. After 30 minutes, I decided to slice a piece to try. I wish I could say that it was love at first bite, but I'd be lying. I didn't care for this brownie-cake very much. The cake itself was a bit dry, but that may have been my fault. I left it in the oven for 5 minutes longer than I probably should have. Aside from that though, while the caramel-peanut topping tasted good, it was way too hard and sticky for my tastes. I would have liked it to stay smooth and pliable like when I first poured it from the pan. Anyhow, I barely finished my slice. I chalked up this recipe as at least a good learning experience. I got to use my springform pan and I learned how to make caramel... hard caramel, but caramel nonetheless!

So, I told my DH that he could take the remaining cake to work the next day, as he does every Monday. On Monday morning though, I looked at the brownie cake and almost told him not to bother. I was thinking of just throwing it out -- I was pretty disapppointed with how it turned out and didn't really want to serve it to anyone else. I was running late for work though and didn't have a chance to tell DH before he woke up. Well, it turned out that was a good thing! My DH took it to work and he said that it was gone in a jiffy! He said a lot of people liked it -- and their favorite part -- the caramel topping! I said, "OH, that was the part I liked the least! I mean, how did you even eat it? Didn't it break your plastic forks?" He laughed and said that actually it did! Nobody really cared though once he brought some other forks. They liked the taste and texture of the caramel. My DH even said it was his favorite TWD recipe to date! WHAT? Oh well! Glad I didn't throw it out after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment