Thursday, January 6, 2011

A New Mission: The Power of Positivity!

So since I finally finished The Other Boleyn Girl, I picked up a new book and one that I think I am in need right about now: Law of Attraction by Michael Losier. The basic premise of the book says that whatever you are thinking or feeling, you are putting out a vibe. Whatever the vibe is, the universe responds by giving you more of what you are putting out -- so if you are putting out a positive vibe, more positive, good things will come your way. If you are putting out a negative vibe, more negative, unwanted things will find you. So basically, the law of attraction says that you are attracting positive or negative things (or people!) into your life based on the kind of vibes you are putting out there.

When I first heard this, I thought, WHAT?! That sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo! But then I kept hearing more from all over the place. With everything going on in my life right now (or maybe I should say not going on,) I thought I'd give the book a try.

This book is a super short read! (I started it and finished it in under an hour!) It has a lot of activities and worksheets to get you started in the right direction. After reading it, I figure that whether I believe in the whole vibrations into the universe thing or not, much of what Losier said in the book is just good positive thinking and what could be wrong with that?! Here are some things he suggests:
  • Think about what you want. Write it down and be specific! To get started, it helps sometimes to write about what you don't want. For example, if you want to find your ideal spouse, use your negative experiences to write down what you don't want. Those things are often much easier to list! THEN, turn each item on your negative list into something on your list of things you DO want. For example, if you know you don't want a spouse who is controlling, write instead that you want to find a spouse who is flexible, trusting and well-balanced. Losier calls this "identifying a contrast".

    Again, whether you believe in the Law of Attraction or not, many goal-oriented people will take the time to actually write out their goals. I remember reading somewhere that those people who actually write them down are far more successful in achieving them! I see no harm in applying that to personal goals!

  • Give attention to what you want. Don't write about what it is and stop there. Take it one step further and write about how you feel working towards attaining it! That'll serve two purposes: 1) It will remind you daily about what your goal is, keeping it fresh in your mind, and 2) It will make you feel good about it, which makes you then put out that positive vibe that will hopefully bring more positivity in your life. Again, believe in it or not, what harm can come from thinking consistently and positively about what you want to achieve?!

    Some people may consider this step an affirmation. Affirmations don't always work though. With a typical affirmation, one might say, "I am good enough, smart enough, and people like me." (Bonus points to the person who knows where that line comes from!) The problem with that is, if a person really feels that they are NOT good enough and smart enough, self doubt will come into play and the only vibe that person will be putting out is a negative, doubtful one. To fix that, instead say, "I am excited at the idea of being good enough, smart enough..." We can all be truthful in saying that we are excited at the idea of achieving ____ and therefore, put out that positive vibe!

  • Allow things to come into your life. The biggest barrier to allowing the Law of Attraction is doubt. Losier says that we must remove doubt in our lives to allow the Law to work more successfully for us. Again, believe in it or not, what harm can come from having a less pessimistic, more positive outlook. One exercise that he suggests is to list all of the ways the Law of Attraction has worked in our daily lives, no matter how big or how small. The more we do it, the more we will see that it really is working and that we really do have control over our happenstances. I think this activity is a simple idea. Again, what harm can come from acknowledging the good things that come into our lives!

So, with that, I am going to work towards writing at least one thing every day where the Law of Attraction has worked for me. Since this post is getting crazy long, I'll start with a new post for today's entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment