Monday, January 3, 2011

I Just Signed Up for a 10 Mile Race! Am I Crazy?

I just started really running again about 7 weeks ago. My goal for the YEAR is to run a half marathon which is 13.1 miles. I ran my first race, a 5K (3.1 miles) last weekend. I got so excited after completing the race, I started looking for more to run. While searching for 10K races, I stumbled upon a 10 mile race: The Hermes Cleveland 10-Miler. The more I read about it, the more I wanted to do it. Check out all the perks: It's chip timed, meaning the timing is accurate to the hundredth of a second (or something crazy like that,) all 10-miler participants get a tech shirt and a cool finisher's medal, there will be music playing all along the course, and there will be a post-race party at Cleveland's House of Blues with a live band. How fun! I looked at my training schedule to see if it's doable and it looks like it's actually within reason. See, every Saturday, I try to do an LSD (long, slow distance) run. Each week, I try to run 1/2 to 1 mile more than the previous week. Just last week, I ran over 6.5 miles. This coming weekend, I'll run 7 or maybe 7.5. The Hermes 10-Miler is 6 weeks away -- at this pace, by race day, I'm scheduled to run a 10 mile LSD anyway! So why not do it in a super fun atmosphere with lots of "free" goodies?! I say "free" because there is a $25 entrance fee, but with all the stuff I get, and compared to other races, $25 isn't too shabby. So, I can't believe it, but it looks like my next race is a 10-miler! That blows my mind! My goal for the YEAR is to run 13.1 in September, and I'm going to run a 10 in April? WHOA! If I can run 10 in April, 13.1 in September will be a breeze! Now all I have to do is convince myself that yes, I can do it! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment