Saturday, July 9, 2011

TWD: Rewind with Snickery Squares

This week, Mari of Mevrouw Cupcake chose a Creme Brulee for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie. I was thinking I was going to skip this one because (a) I don't own a torch and didn't want to try the broiler thing -- it scares me, and (b) I just wasn't in the mood for it. Luckily, the fabulous moderator for TWD allowed us to do a rewind recipe. There are a bunch of recipes I missed since I joined TWD so late, so I was excited to try something different. I showed my DH the list of completed recipes to get some suggestions and his pick was the same as mine: Snickery Squares!

Erin of Dinner and Dessert is the person who chose this recipe way back in March, so see her blog for the exact recipe. Anyhow, while the recipe looks kind of scary, it's really super simple. You just process a few ingredients to make the shortbread dough, then you just press the dough into your baking pan. Bake, and allow to cool. While it's cooling, make a simple caramel by heating sugar and a little bit of water. Once the sugar starts to turn color, add in some peanuts. When the peanuts are covered in caramel, dump onto wax paper and allow to cool. Once your shortbread layer is cool, smother it with dulce de leche and then top with half of the caramelized peanuts. (It took me forever to find that dulce de leche! I finally found it in the Mexican aisle! DUH!) While you're working on that, melt some chocolate (I do it in the microwave in 20-30 second bursts) and then add some butter to the chocolate. Layer that on top of the peanuts. Finely chop the remaining peanuts and sprinkle those on top of the chocolate. Put in the fridge for a few hours, slice into 2" square and voila -- Snickery goodness!

I had a little sliver last night just to get a taste -- super rich but super yum! They had that perfect winning combination of sweet and salty. I could tell that they would be a hit. I was right too -- My DH took them to work the next day and he said that a lot of people liked them. I only sent in a few, but he said that they didn't last long. :-) I'll definitely make these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment