Monday, October 10, 2011

Clowning Around with Wilton 1 (No TWD)

Today is Tuesday, which means that I should be posting a TWD recipe, but alas, I am not. I signed up with a couple of friends to take a Wilton decorating class, and that has taken over a lot of my baking time. The class is usually once a week, which wouldn't be a big deal, but this class is condensed to twice a week. I tutor on the opposite days of the class, so my baking time is cut significantly! BOO HOO! As much as I have been enjoying the decorating class, I look forward to having some of my time back. So anyhow, while I don't have any TWD recipes / pics to post, I do have some cake, or in this case, cupcake decorating to show!

Last night, we learned how to do shells, dots, flowers, and another step to the Wilton rose. I learned that while shells look very easy, ummm, they are NOT easy for me! I need some major practice. Consequently, dots are my new best friend! LOL! The flowers (I forget what type they are called) were pretty easy too and I like the look of them, so I'll probably be doing a lot more of them. The Wilton rose was tough for me. The instructor kept yelling and me and my one friend, "Turn, Turn, Turn! Lift up your hand! Higher!" AHH -- the pressure! We were both like, "Are we done with this yet?!" :-) Luckily, we finished off the evening by making clowns! Now when I first looked through my lesson book, I saw this clown cake and thought, "Oh my gosh, that looks so silly! I hope I don't have to make that!" At our last class, I found out that we did have to make it, so I figured that I just might as well suck it up and try to at least make it look good... as much as I could at least! I Google Imaged "Wilton clown" and found lots of super cute clown cakes! The more of them I saw, the more I thought that they were actually cute and pretty fun! I decided to buy the clown heads after all for my cupcakes. Once I got to the table with my clown heads, my friends all kind of laughed. "You actually bought those?!" I said, "Yes! You wait and see! Mine is going to be cute!" Well, after all was said and done, they were borrowing the extra clown heads for their own cupcakes. :-)

Today, I bake my final cake for tomorrow's last class. We will be doing nothing but roses. Oh no... I can hear my instructor already! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment