Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Cross Training DVDs

If you read an earlier post, I tried a pilates VHS tape earlier this week with um...not much success. It was kind of a pain fastfowarding and rewinding to where I wanted to get anyways. So today, I took a trip to Target (my favorite store!) and picked up two new workout DVDs. Here's a little review!

The first one is Yoga Conditioning for Athletes by Rodney Yee. If you're not familiar with yoga, Rodney Yee has put out a least a dozen DVDs and they are all pretty good! This one is supposedly targeted for athletes with one general workout that's about 45 minutes long, and then 5 short 10 minute workouts for various sports, one of which is running! I got a little bored this evening, so I decided to give it a try a little earlier than I had planned. Some parts focus on toning muscles, but it's mostly stretching, but that's just what I need right now. There's a little meditation too at the end which at first I kind of chuckled at. I think they lie on the ground meditating for maybe the last 5 minutes of the video. I thought, "this is my kind of workout!" Once I actually got to that part of the video though, I found those last few minutes very relaxing and a great opportunity to focus my mind. I like! I think this DVD will be PERFECT after those long weekend runs!

This other video is quite the opposite. It's by The Firm and it's the Total Body Time-Crunch. I haven't tried it yet, but I can tell it's already going to kick my butt! I've never tried videos by The Firm, but I guess this one follows the others in that the workouts are a combo of cardio and strength training. While the yoga workout is very slow, controlled, and relaxed, this one is high energy, moving every second! I just hope I can keep up with it! I plan on doing this one on Thursdays, the day after my speed workout. I usually have a rest day Friday, so that'll be perfect! I don't know if I'll do it this Thursday since I'm planning to do my long run on Friday instead of Saturday. (The weather for Sat is not looking great.) I'll let you know how it is though once I try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment