Sunday, January 1, 2012

Pie Dough and I Are Friends Now

So one of my first Tuesdays with Dorie experiences was to make a double crusted blueberry pie. I tried to make my own pie crust and it was a NIGHTMARE! Well, after many recommendations and a few trials, I have found the easiest pie crust EVAH! I found this recipe on Allrecipes for a pie crust made with just butter, flour and cream cheese! I was a little hesitant since it is totally different than any pie crust I've ever made -- no cutting in of the fats and no adding of water. All you do is blend some cream cheese and butter then add in the flour. It seemed too easy! I figured it was worth a try if it did work out, so I decided to head out to pick up some ingredients. While at Walmart, I went over the dairy section to pick up some cream cheese, and I found this:

It said on the package that it bakes like cream cheese, so I decided to try this hopefully healthier alternative. Once I got it home, I whipped up the dough in a breeze! I altered the original recipe a little based on reviewer recommendations:

Ingredients:
-1 stick butter, softened but still cold
-1/2 package cream cheese, softened but still cold
-1 1/2 cup flour
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 Tablespoon sugar (for sweet pie dough, omit sugar for savory dough)
-1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:
1. Using a hand mixer, mix butter and cream cheese.
2. Whisk flour, salt, sugar (if using) and baking powder. Slowly incorporate into butter/cream cheese mixture.
3. Dump mixture into plastic wrap. Mold and flatten into a disk. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling out to use.

This dough was seriously easy -- the easiest I had ever made. I loved not having to cut up frozen butter, pull out my food processor, or have to guess at how much ice water to add. This dough seriously took less than 5 minutes to make -- more like 3 minutes. Love that! But would it bake nicely? I made a savory recipe (chicken pot pie) and a sweet one (strawberry rhubarb pie) to test it out.

Here is the chicken pot pie...


And here is the strawberry rhubarb pie. (Can you believe my local Walmart had fresh rhubarb in the produce section this week?! I had to make this pie as one last summer fling! And what a fling it was -- YUM!)

I am so pumped with how these came out. Seriously yum! This will easily be my go-to pie dough recipe. Way too easy and oh so tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment