Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Running and I are Having a Little Tiff

So have you seen those New Balance commercials about running -- the ones that talk about the love/hate relationship we have with running?


Yeah... running and I, we're kind of not liking each other right now. In terms of the whole love/hate thing, I'm kind of on the love side less and less. In fact, I'm thinking that we might be seeing other people for awhile.

What can I say? After getting back from my vacay from Hawaii, I have had such a hard time getting back into it. I've had some super hard runs. At first it was just hard reconditioning my body, but then I got wicked sick on a few of my long runs. I went out to run 10 and 12 milers and while I completed the 10, I had to cut the 12 miler 1/2 mile short. You're probably thinking, "Oh come on! Why didn't she go the full 12? What's another 1/2 mile?!" No, let me just tell you that while it was only 65 degrees when I started, by the time I hit mile 11, it was 85 degrees, no shade in sight, I was out of water, my arms started tingling and I felt like I was going to pass out! I will spare you the details, but let's just say that I was out totally out of commission for the next 6-7 hours after that run. I mean seriously -- I think I had heat exhaustion or something! While that was probably more my fault, I was seriously not loving the long run that day. To top that off, my feet and knees have started hurting again. After I got back from HI, they were 1000x better than before, but now the pain is creeping back. WAAAAH! Running is just kicking my butt!

So anyway, I have my first ever half marathon coming up this weekend. When I first started training 7 long months ago, I set a time goal of under 2 hours. Yeah, I have since modified that to finishing without walking! I am even scared now that I won't be able to do that! I really think though that I'll be able to do it. I mean, I have completed a 12 miler and an 11.5 miler without walking, so 13.1 should be doable. I think having a crowd of other runners around me will be a big help too. That last 12 miler attempt though is playing with my psyche. I'm just going to have to put it out of my mind come race day.

So then I started thinking, I've been training 7 months for this one race coming up on Sunday. What happens after the race? I hate to totally quit all that I've done. I've gotten into such a habit of going out for a long run on Saturday, I'd like to keep that up. I think I'd like to go running on a few weekdays too, but I don't want to be too strict. I'll run when I feel up to it, and I'll leave all the gadgets at home. No more mapping, no more logging, no more mandatory speedwork... just running to run. I need to simplify our relationship -- I think it might be the only way to salvage it!

No comments:

Post a Comment