Sunday, April 8, 2012

"Chaos in the Kitchen" Challenge #4: Enchiladas & Cornbread

Challenge #4: Shredded Chicken Enchiladas & Honey Cornbread Muffins
Recipe ratings: Enchiladas -- 4.5 stars, Corn Bread -- 4 stars

Shredded Chicken Enchiladas

I found this recipe for the chicken enchiladas on a blog called, Loves to Eat. Click on the title above to see the original recipe. I have copied the recipe below but have made a few changes. Anything in italics is a modification I made.

Ingredients:

Homemade enchilada sauce:
-15 ounce can tomato sauce
-small can tomato paste
-3/4 cup water
-1 can beef broth
-1/4 tsp cumin
-1/4 ts. garlic powder
-2 tsp chili powder
-1/4 tsp paprika
-1/2 tsp dried oregano
-salt and pepper to taste
-2 to 3 drops hot sauce

Enchiladas:
-Tortillas (4 large ones or 8 small ones)
-2 split chicken breasts, skin-on and bone-in
-2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
-1 small tub of sour cream
-8 green onions finely chopped
-Cheddar cheese (or Mexican mix cheese) to cover top
-Sour cream, salsa, taco sauce, etc..whatever toppings you prefer!


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Coat both chicken pieces in olive oil and salt and pepper liberally. Place in a roasting pan and roast chicken in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until chicken is cooked. When finished, remove from oven and allow to cool. Remove skin, shred meat.

2. While chicken is roasting, make homemade sauce: Mix all sauce ingredients well and bring to a boil. Boil 15 mins.

3. Assemble enchiladas: Using a large spoon, spoon enchilada sauce on each tortilla. Spread to cover the tortilla. Fill with chicken, sour cream, onion, and mozzarella cheese. Roll up and place seam down in a 9x13 baking dish. Do this again with all tortilla wraps. Once all are in the dish, cover the enchiladas with the rest of the sauce and sprinkle on all the cheddar cheese. Bake at 350*F, uncovered for 30-40 mins or until bubbly and warm. Serve immediately with rice or veggie and choice of toppings! Makes 4 enchiladas or 8 mini enchiladas!


These enchiladas were so flavorful! The only big changes I made from the original recipe were these:

(1) The original recipe said to roast or poach chicken. I chose to roast the chicken. I've never done so before, but after seeing Ina do it on her show, Barefoot Contessa (Food Network,) I wanted to give it a try. Can I just say... O...M...G! After tasting this roasted chicken... well, all I can say is, "I hereby solemnly swear to NEVER poach another chicken again!" I mean seriously, it was like eating a completely different thing! Even my DH, who did not see me roast the chicken, commented on how good it tasted while eating the enchilada. It really made a difference!
(2) In the original recipe, it says to take the tortillas and dip them in the sauce before assembling. That was too messy for me. I just spooned the sauce on. Seemed to work well for me.

I highly recommend this recipe. It was super yum and very filling! With it, I served some Spanish rice (from a package...GASP! I know, I know...) and some honey cornbread muffins.

~~~~~~~~~

Honey Cornbread Muffins

Here is the recipe as it is on the Food Network website. (Click above for the link.) It is originally from the show, Down Home with the Neelys. This recipe makes 12 muffins.

Ingredients
-1 cup yellow cornmeal
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 cup whole milk
-2 large eggs
-1/2 stick butter
-melted 1/4 cup honey
-Special equipment: paper muffin cups and a 12-cup muffin tin

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Into a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the whole milk, eggs, butter, and honey. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.

3. Place muffin paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin. Evenly divide the cornbread mixture into the papers. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden.


I followed the recipe directly as stated and they were super yummy! Although it should be noted that these are a little sweeter of a cornbread -- you could definitely taste the honey. I like that though! While these muffins were tasty as is, I might try adding a little spiciness by adding some minced jalapeno or Serrano peppers. That way, they'll have a little bit o' sweet and a little bit o' heat! Yum!



I would say that this challenge was a success, even though my plate presentation and picture-taking still isn't -- I swear, it may look terrible, but it was super yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment